jueves, 7 de noviembre de 2013

Third Culture Kids: Where's Home?

In the last classes, we've been studying Third Culture Kids, which are persons who grow up between different cultures, due to a variety of reasons. As we watched a video, which I'll link in this post, I made a mind map to show my ideas around TCK.

So Where's Home? A Film About Third Culture Kid Identity


One concept that caught my attention was Rootless. This word created a feeling of loneliness when I first read it, as it means that you come from nowhere and that you belong to no particular culture or society. A very close example for me is my grandfather, who had the same name as me. He was born in Chile, but he grew between English people and he learnt to speak Spanish at the age of 20. My father has told me that he was a very peculiar person, because he never felt comfortable in Chile, as he was extremely different to the local people. However, he didn't felt british neither, as he always said he was chilean. In some sort of way, he forced himself to believe he was chilean, although he had all the characteristics of an English man. I think this situation represents the sense of rootless; when your life struggles between two cultures, but you don't feel at home in any of them.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario