viernes, 24 de agosto de 2012

Debating at Nido de Aguilas: ESU Competition!

Two or three months ago I had the chance to participate in the Debate Interhouse in The Mackay School. After it, I was invited to participate in the debating team of the school. Unfortunately, the past years I couldn't debate because I had Rugby practise, but this year I happily accepted the challenge. 

For that reason, in Friday 17th of August we went to Nido de Aguilas in Santiago to participate in the English Speaking Union debating competition. We had two teams: One will do impromptu debate and the other one a prepared debate; I was in the second team. 

We were against the motion "This house would eliminate trade barriers in international trade". Our first speaker was Mr Eildestein, I was the second one, and the third speaker was Mr Elgueta. Although we were supposed to debate with Dunalastair, they were absent so we ended up debating with a Nido de Aguila's team (I guess). I think we did pretty well, but we were nervous so that played against us. Also, I wasn't comfortably because the opposite team argued about investors who build companies and industries in other countries, something shouldn't be considered International trading. Fortunately, I managed to present some good arguments and rose up with some good Point of Information.

In general terms, I enjoyed the day debating, because we didn't just debate; we had fun, laughed and met new people from other schools. I hope I'll be able to participate in more debates and improve my arguing skills.

Finally, as there are always aspects to improve, I'll add a video that'll be useful for future Debates.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario